Gold Mint Trailhead
Fishhook-Willow Rd, Palmer, AK 99645
Bring your beacon, probe, and shovel for a fun day out practicing companion rescue! We will have avalanche professionals from Hatcher Pass Avalanche Center, Friends of the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center, Alaska Avalanche School, and Alaska Avalanche Information Center, including several experienced snowmachiners, teaching how to effectively conduct a companion rescue along with how to identify red flags, clues that the snowpack is unstable.
Hatcher Pass Snow Riders Club will be providing burgers, hot dogs, and refreshments for this FREE, popular event, so make sure to bring your family and buddies!
We will have loaner beacons available for those who do not have beacons but are interested in learning how to use them! Below is a detailed agenda of the event. Please feel free to email the event organizer with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Introduction of all participating organizations (5 min)
2. 5 GETS: get the gear, get the training, get the forecast, get the picture, get out of harm’s way (20 min).
3. Practice beacon check, how to use a probe, effective digging, and beacon search. Option for experienced participants to review multi-burial companion rescue techniques. (60 mins)
3. Avalanche airbag deployment (10 min)
4. Refreshments & option for interested folks to learn hands-on assessment of snowpack instability (30 min)